Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I feel old. But not very wise.

Film: An Education

Staring: Carey Mulligan and Peter Sarsgaard

Synopsis: A coming-of-age story about a teenage girl in 1960s suburban London, and how her life changes with the arrival of a playboy nearly twice her age.

Grade: B+


I have to start out by saying I have never met a Nick Hornby film that I didn't like. This film stayed true to that statement. I loved the style of this film. The clothing style had me wishing I could sew better. How dreamy would it be if I could create my own 1960s inspired wardrobe? That would be one more thing to add to my list of things I want to take a class about - clothing construction. The story was pretty interesting. I liked that Jenny wanted to learn about new things, but I was annoyed by how easy she was to trust a man she knew very little about. But don't even get me started on how foolish her parents were to trust a man with their 16 year old daughter. I have to admit that I usually find Peter Sarsgaard a little slimy. He was the creepy bad guy in Flight Plan, and I just couldn't forget that while watching this film. Every word he said was so eloquent. I tried to like his character because he was so charming, but apparently my subconscious is a better judge of character than that. I was definitely more charmed by 1960 England than by Sarsgaard's character. I enjoyed this film a lot. I think I enjoyed it so much because despite the ridiculousness mess she made of her life in a short period of time, she turned it around and just kept living. Thanks for the recommendation, Sarah!





1 comment:

Lauren Kristine said...

Declan and I loved this one. I wanted to own all the clothes. And the hair styles! And the cars! Even though I knew the relationship would self-destruct, I still loved it.