Tuesday, January 18, 2011

"I think I must have one of those faces you can't help believing. "

Film: Psycho (1960)

Starring: Anthony Perkins and Vera Miles

Synopsis: A young woman steals $40,000 from her employer's client, and subsequently encounters a young motel proprietor too long under the domination of his mother.


Oh how I love Alfred Hitchcock. This may be the first in a series of reviews of his films. I love this particular film for a few reasons: storyline, camera angles, and location. The storyline was incredible. Nothing was said that was unnecessary. Every detail had a purpose. Everything came together and so perfectly. While I basically had the storyline pegged from the beginning, I could not be more pleased with how the whole thing played out. Simply beautiful. For a thriller of course. The camera angles were fabulous and perfectly enhanced the story. And while the effects were par for the 60s, the camera angles enhanced the light gore making it better than any modern day thriller. I knew I would like the movie from the beginning - I mean how could I not since the opening scene was in Phoenix, AZ. While I don't suggest this as the first Hitchcock movie you should see, I do highly recommend it. Especially if you enjoy watching Criminal Minds. There have been a few episodes of Criminal Minds that I believe tipped their hat to this particular film. Bonus points if you can reference which ones I'm talking about.


photos from google image search

No comments: